Youth who fought police for over 35 hours has acute psychosis

Lucknow, Feb 20 (IANS) Shamim alias Raju, the 27-year-old youth who kept the police here on their toes for over 35 hours before he was taken out of a room in which he had locked himself up and resorted to firing, suffers from ‘acute psychosis’, according to doctors treating him.

‘He is suffering from psychotic disorder, acute psychosis, an ailment that gives suicidal thoughts and feelings to patients,’ Harjit Singh, head of psychiatry department at Chhatrapati Shahuji Maharaj Medical University (CSMMU), told reporters Saturday.

Psychosis is an abnormal condition of the mind often described as loss of contact with reality.

‘Acute psychosis does not necessarily need to have any reason. It can be linked to unsoundness of mind — a state that can develop without any rhyme or reason. However, we are still studying the medical history of the patient to know whether there are any specific reasons for the ailment,’ he added.

According to CSMMU doctors, Raju has been a patient of depression since 2002. They say he will undergo treatment for nearly 15 days after which he should be able to lead a ‘normal life’.

Raju’s parents agree that their son is ‘mentally unstable’, but have not given any specific reason for it. However, his neighbours and friends say that he went into depression a few years ago after he was apparently not allowed to pursue the career of his choice.

‘Raju, who did brilliantly in his M.Sc (Maths), wanted to join civil services. However, his family made him take up teaching,’ his friend Pawan Singh told reporters.

‘Recently, he appeared in the NET (National Entrance Test) exams, but could not qualify. At present, he is pursuing B.Ed from an institute in Ghaziabad,’ Singh added.

Raju had locked himself up Wednesday night. His father Shabeer Ahmad called the police Thursday morning after his son refused to open the door. A few constables headed by an inspector were sent to get him out.

But Raju began firing at everyone, including security personnel, friends and relatives, who tried to approach him. He fired 20 rounds from his father’s double-barrel licensed gun, injuring two policemen, including an inspector, an official said.

After battling with the police for over 35 hours, Raju was finally brought out of the room Friday evening. The suicidal youth was administered an anaesthetic in gaseous form and then taken out unconscious.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *