Violence continues in Kashmir

Srinagar, June 29 (Calcutta Tube) The Kashmir Valley continued to simmer Tuesday as violence spread to the southern region leaving one person injured in firing by security forces while curfew was clamped in many parts to quell angry protests over eight civilian killings.

Stone pelting mobs took to streets at many places in the summer capital Srinagar as protesters and police clashed in south Kashmir’s Anantnag and Pulwama districts.

One person identified as Arshad Ahmad was injured when security forces fired a rubber bullet to quell protests in Mattan Chowk of Anantnag, 56 km from here.

‘The injured person has been shifted to Srinagar for treatment,’ a police officer said in Anantnag town.

Clashes also erupted in Kakpora town and Pinglina village of Pulwama district.

‘Security forces have been instructed to use minimum force to quell the protests. We have used batons and tear smoke shells to control protests in the area,’ a police officer said in Pulwama.

Stone pelters took to the streets in Nowpora, Lawaipora, Zaldagar, Shalteng, Fruit Mandi and Bemina areas of Srinagar city.

Protests have also been reported from Baramulla town, but authorities said these were much subdued as compared to the violence in north Kashmir Monday.

So far no loss of life or property has been reported from anywhere in the valley.

Curfew has been imposed in Sopore and Baramulla towns and vehicular traffic was restricted in Old City areas of Srinagar after two youths were killed in widespread violence.

Additional security men have been deployed in Sopore and Baramulla towns to restore order there, police said.

Vehicular and pedestrian movement was not allowed in five police station areas of Khanyar, Rainawari, Nowhatta, M.R. Gunj and Safa Kadal to tackle separatist violence here.

Traffic intersections in the Old City areas were also blocked with coils of razor fitted wire.

‘Preventive restrictions are in force in Old City areas to protect civilian life and property from anti-social elements,’ a police officer told IANS.

‘Nobody will be allowed to create law and order situation that would endanger civilian life and property. Parents have been advised to remain vigilant against miscreants who use their wards to generate violence,’ the officer said.

In uptown areas of Srinagar city, shops, public transport, banks, educational institutions remained closed. Tension was palpable in the city because of Monday’s incidents of violence.

Tajamul Ahmad Bhat, 17, and Tauqeer Ahmad Rather, 15, were killed during mob violence in Baramulla district Monday. Bilal Ahmad Wani, 22, was shot dead by the Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) Sunday.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *