New Delhi, Feb 12 (Calcutta Tube) The union government Friday announced the terms of reference for the five member Justice B.N. Krishna committee looking into the issue of statehood for Telangana.
Under the terms of reference, the committee will:
* Examine the demands of a separate state of Telangana as well as the demands for maintaining the present status of a united Andhra Pradesh.
* Review developments in the state since its formation and their impact on the progress and development of the different regions.
* Examine the impact of recent developments in the state on different sections of people such as women, children, students, minorities, backward classes, Scheduled Castes and Scheduled Tribes.
* Consult all sections of people especially political parties and other organisations to seek their views on a range of solutions that will dissolve the present difficult situation.
* Identify optimal solutions and recommend a plan of action and a roadmap.
* To also consult civil society, industry, trade unions, commerce organisations, farmers, women’s and students organisations to elicit their views.
A statement by the home ministry said that the committee would submit its report by Dec 31.
The five-member committee was set up earlier this month. Shortly after the announcement of the panel, the Telangana Joint Action Committee (JAC) spearheading the agitation for a separate state said it would wait for the terms of reference of the committee before giving its views.