New Delhi, Aug 11 (Calcutta Tube) T.S. Darbari who was ousted as joint director general of the Commonwealth Games Organising Committee earlier this week on corruption charges pleaded innocence Wednesday.
Darbari was ousted following the report of the three-member panel which was probing the financial irregularities related to the Queen’s Baton Relay inaugural.
Darbari told CNN-IBN that there had been a ‘motivated campaign’ against him.
‘My role was only ceremonial. Not even a single document can be produced against me,’ he said.
Darbari also backed organising committee chairman Suresh Kalmadi, who has been the target of corruption allegations related to the Games. ‘I have no grievances against Kalmadi. He is the only leader in this country,’ he said.
‘My letter to the chief executive officer of the organising committee and the secretary in sports ministry is clear. I have not taken any decision. I am not part of any deal with AM Films (a controversial London firm),’ he said.
Darbari was sacked Monday by the organising committee following pleas by the Sports Ministry.
He was ousted pending an inquiry after his name cropped up in alleged corruption during the launch of the Queen’s Baton Relay in London.