New Delhi, July 27 (IANS) A minor fire broke out at the Rajiv Chowk Metro station Tuesday after the overhead lines repeatedly tripped, disrupting metro services for a while. No one was injured in the incident, an official said.
‘The fire erupted in an insulator at 1.40 p.m. Two fire tenders were rushed to douse the flames. It took 15-20 minutes to control it,’ a fire official said.
A Delhi Metro rail Corporation (DMRC) spokesperson said that the potential transformer, which was housed in insulated material of a train from Central Secretariat to Jahangirpuri, failed and resulted in the tripping.
‘The Emergency Trip System (ETS) was used to cut off power supply to the overhead electric lines by the metro staff after flashing was detected on top of the train on account of potential transformer failure,’ the spokesperson said.
Another train on its way to Jahangirpuri from Central Secretariat was evacuated at Patel Chowk while it was still inside a tunnel due to the incident, he said.
‘The de-boarding was done for the safety of the passengers. The services were restored at 2.42 p.m.,’ the spokesperson added.