April 2 (Calcutta Tube): Meghe Dhaka Tara (The Cloud Capped Star) is a 1960 Bengali film directed by Ritwik Ghatak starring Supriya Chowdhury, Anil Chatterjee, Nilanjan Roy, Gita Ghatak and others. The immortal classic was originally released in April 14th, 1960. The film will complete 50 years this month. Watch the trailer of Meghe Dhaka Tara online and buy the film for your own personal collection.
The fans of Ritwik Ghatak Films all over the world has started facebook fan page to remember the wonderful work by the legendary filmmaker. The film has been screen in many film festivals all over the globe in recent times including the Edinburgh Film Festival in UK in 1991.
- Netherlands – 25 January 1991 (International Film Festival Rotterdam)
- Singapore – 5 April 1997 (Singapore International Film Festival)
- Czech Republic – 3 April 2005 (Febio Film Festival)
- UK – 22 August 2006 (TV premiere)
- UK – 18 June 2009 (Edinburgh Film Festival)
“Meghe Dhaka Tara” tells the tragic story of the beautiful daughter of a middle-class refugee family from East Pakistan, living in the outskirts of Calcutta under modest circumstances. Neeta sacrifices everything for her family, including her personal happiness, her money, and her health, while her achievements are hardly ever recognized by the people around her. (imdb summary)
Released: 14th April, 1960.
“Ritwik Ghatak’s new film ‘Meghe Dhaka Tara’…constitutes a glorious triumph for the rising group of young film-makers who have been striving to rescue the cinema from the quagmire of escapist entertainment…His entire approach is realistic to a poetic degree and he shows exceptional imagination and warm sensitiveness in building up the climate situations which leave an indelible impression onthe audience mind. –Amrita Bazar Patrika,22April,1960.
As a film-maker, Ritwik Ghatak has his forte,he has his originality.If his style is to be categorized,well,it’s a new dimension of the Neo-Realist school.Countrymen have already experienced a bit of it in his previous films such as ‘Ajantrik’ and ‘Bari Theke Paliye’.’Meghe Dhaka Tara’ has abundance and reached the pinnacle of it” –Jugantor,22April,1960.
Join Facebook Page for Meghe Dhaka Tara
- Directed by: Ritwik Ghatak
- Writers: Ritwik Ghatak, Shaktipada Rajguru
- Producers: Ritwik Ghatak
- Supriya Choudhury … Nita
- Anil Chatterjee … Shankar
- Niranjan Roy … Sanat
- Gita Ghatak … Gita
- Bijon Bhattacharya … Father
- Gita De … Mother
- Dwiju Bhawal … Mantu
- Gyanesh Mukherjee … Banshi Dutta
- Ranen Roy Choudhury … Baul singer
Original Music: Jyotirindra Moitra
Cinematographers: Dinen Gupta (photographed by)
Editors: Ramesh Joshi
Production Designers: Ravi Chatterjee
- Debabrata Biswas … playback singer
- Hemanga Biswas … playback singer
- Ranen Ray Choudhury … playback singer
- Gita Ghatak … playback singer
- A.T. Kanan … playback singer
Production Companies: Chitrakalpa
You can also buy it from Amazon.com.
[ReviewAZON asin=”B0025G5TVC” display=”fullpost”]