Uncategorized

Abducted Jharkhand official released

Ranchi, Feb 19 (IANS) A Jharkhand government official, abducted by Maoists last week, was released Friday evening, police said.

Block Development Officer (BDO) Prasant Layak ‘was released near Haryan village in East Singhbhum district,’ Jharkhand police spokesman V.H. Deshmukh said here. The official has been brought to the Ghatshila police station, Deshmukh added.

layak was abducted Saturday by four armed men of the outlawed Communist Party of India-Maoist (CPI-Maoist) from Dalbhumgarh block of East Singhbhum district.

The Maoists had, through Layak’s wife, voiced their demand for the release of three of their comrades from a jail, and then insisted on the release of 11 others.

While the government late Wednesday agreed to move court to ‘re-investigate’ the cases of the 14 Maoists, the rebels Thursday came up with two new demands.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *