Uncategorized

50 fall ill after gas leaks in Mumbai

Mumbai, July 14 (Calcutta Tube) At least 50 people, most of them students, were rushed to a hospital after they fell ill here early Wednesday following leakage of suspected chlorine gas in a scrap yard in Mumbai, an official said.

The gas leak was noticed around 4 a.m. when people started complaining of burning eyes, breathlessness and vomiting sensation, the fire brigade official said.

The source of the leakage was traced to a scrap yard in the Mumbai Port Trust premises, adjacent to the L.B.S. College in Sewri in south-central Mumbai.

As preliminary measures, water was thrown on the gas cylinders stored in a container in the scrap yard while experts were summoned to deal with the situation, the official said.

Also, nearly 400 people staying in the vicinity were evacuated. The condition of the victims admitted to the Sir J.J. Hospital is reported to be stable.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *