Uncategorized

32 kids hospitalised after eating jatropha seeds

Raipur, Oct 12 (Calcutta Tube) Thirty-two students of a government primary school were admitted to hospital Monday after they consumed jatropha seeds on their way back home from school, officials said. Their condition is now stable.

The students, enrolled at government primary school in Dharsiwa area, about 45 km from capital Raipur, were rushed to a government primary health centre after they fell unconscious on consuming jatropha seeds thinking them to be fruit, heath department officials said.

Jatropha is a plant that grows up to three metres and produces inedible fruits. Several states, including Chhattisgarh, have been planting its saplings in millions in a bid to extract bio-fuel from it.

Some agricultural scientists say eating two seeds would act as a purgative while four or more could cause death.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *